Preparation time – 30 minutes
Cooking time – 1 hour
Total time –1.5 hours
Ingredients for 4 portions:
3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
2 large onions
300 grams of carrots
350 grams of cheese tofu (as for nutritional value, it is very similar to meat, sometimes it’s called “meat without bones”)
400 grams of rice (preferably brown)
1 cup (200 ml) of boiling water
1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
½ teaspoon of turmeric
salt – about 1 teaspoon
You can also use safely a variety of your favorite seasonings for pilaf and garlic.
- Heat oilin a pot, add onions,chopped in half rings, and fry for 1-2 minutes under a lid, until the onions become soft and translucent.
- Add carrots cut in a long thin way, mix well, cover tightly with a lid and reduce the heat. Stir at regular intervals, until the carrots become soft.
- Add boiling water, spices, salt. Cook for about 10 min.
- Add tofu. Do not mix with the rest of the content of the pot.
- Rinse the rice thoroughly, drain the water at least three times.
- Place the rice on top of the tofu, spread it evenly without mixing with the remaining ingredients.
- Add water – it should completely cover the rice, and also be 1 inch (2.5 cm) above the rice.
- Now increase the temperature on the stove and cook the pilaf until water disappears completely.
- At this stage, cover the pot with a lid, reduce heat to low and keep cooking for 15 minutes more.
- After a specified time, turn off the heat but don’t open the pot for another 15 -20 minutes.
- Now open the pot, stir the contents and serve before the dish cools off.
In Uzbekistan the whole pilaf is laid on a big beautiful dish, and it’s served to the table in such a way. But you can serve this dish in portions. Do as you prefer.
This is a very flavorful, healthy and yet hearty dish, it combines spicy spirit of oriental spices and a complete absence of animal product sin an original way.
Youcan cook such a treat for your family members and for your guests as a festive dish. Everybody will be satisfied and will ask for seconds!