Chickpeas with red rice and spicy Brussels sprouts
Prep time ( if using raw chickpeas) 1 night
Ingredients for Brussels sprouts
500 gr Fresh Brussels sprouts
1 onion sliced or chopped
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp sesame seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
salt to taste
50 gr water
1. Heat the pan over medium heat, add olive oil.
2. In the heated oil add the mustard seeds, after 30 sec. the seeds start to pop.You might want to cover the pan.
3. Add sesame seeds and saute till golden
4. Add asaphetida,turmeric
5. Add onions and saute for about 2-3 min till onions soften
6.Add the rest of spices
7. Add Brussels srpouts and mix well.
8. Add water, mix well and cover the pan and allow to cook for 10-12 min, keep mixing now and then to make sure it is not getting burned.
Important: do not overcook the sprouts.
Ingredients for Chickpeas with red rice
1 cup chickpeas (soaked over night)
1 cup red rice/wild rice
4 mid-sized tomatoes
1-2 bell peppers
2 tbsp provence spice
1/2 tbsp hymalalyan salt
cayenne pepper to taste
1. Cook the chickpeas in unsalted water for about 20 min.
2. In parallel, wash the rice in cold water.
3. Blend tomatoes, bell peppers, cayenne pepper to taste, provence spice.
4. Remove the water from the cooked chickpeas.
5. Add the blended ingredients to the pan with chickpeas and cook for 2-3 min.
6. Add the washed rice and mix well.
8. Add 1 cup of hot water and cook for about 20 min.
9. Turn off the heat.